Aubameyang makes statement after deactivating his Twitter

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang says “the only right decision” has been made, after Arsenal pulled out of the European Super League on Tuesday.

After Arsenal made the decision to pull out of the European Super League on Tuesday, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang spoke out in support of the withdrawal on his Instagram story, as well as on the verdict in the George Floyd case.

“It’s been an emotional few days but the only right decision has been made tonight for the fans and for football – and even more important in the case of George Floyd,” Aubameyang said.

Part of the reason Aubameyang posted the statement on his Instagram story was that he’d deactivated his Twitter account earlier in the day.

After posting tweets in support of his friends involved in an online event, Aubameyang received abusive messages from people demanding he only speak about the Super League.

The striker then posted a tweet in response, asking why that was the only thing he was allowed to talk about, and highlighting that there are other important issues like Covid, online abuse, and racism.

As English isn’t Aubameyang’s first language, the tweet wasn’t worded as well as it could have been, and instead of being understanding about that, Arsenal fans continued to mock him over the statement. Before long, he’d deactivated.

Even after that, some supporters continued to try and embarrass their club captain for attention on social media. It was all a bit pathetic, and as someone who watched the whole situation unfold, I’m not sure how anyone is putting Aubameyang at fault.

We’re just going to have to try and move on and do better after Aubameyang returned to the site on Wednesday morning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *