Gabriel Magalhaes to Arsenal: Lille president confirms exit, Raul Sanllehi receives £30m boost

The summer transfer window is open and Arsenal have already started work on their targets.

Gunners boss Mikel Arteta has already called on the club hierarchy to back him in the market, and one reported target is Lille defender Gabriel Magalhaes.

football.londonunderstands Arsenal have a keen interest in the player, with the likes of Napoli and Manchester United also tracking the Brazilian.

With that said, here is everything you need to know about the defender’s future.

Who is he?

Magalhaes is a 22-year-old centre-back who currently plays for Ligue 1 side Lille. He has spent time on loan at both Ligue 2 team Troyes and Dinamo Zagreb II.

But has broken into the first-team fold at the French side over the last two seasons and has made 34 in all competitions in 2019/20, scoring one goal.

Arsenal ready Gabriel offer

Arsenal are preparing to submit an official offer for Lille defender Gabriel Magalhaes, according to reports.

Vinicius Furlan of Tretis TV states that Gabriel has already indicated to Arsenal that he would be interested in joining them.

The 22-year-old has been linked with several other clubs, including Chelsea and Everton, and Arsenal could move soon in the hope of avoiding a bidding war.

Gabriel was one of the most impressive defensive performers in Ligue 1 in the 2019/20 season.

Arteta is thought to be a fan of the left-footed centre-back and Arsenal could seek to hurry the deal along in the coming days.

Arsenal lead race

According to France bleu, Arsenal have taken pole position to land the defender from this summer, getting an advantage from Serie A side Napoli.

Lille replaced the Brazilian with Sven Botman, who signed for the club on Friday for €8 million.

It is said that Gabriel will be available for a fee of around €30 million.

However, another French publication La Voix du Nord have reported that they have not been able to confirm the reports of an Arsenal breakthrough for the defender.

Talks start

Arsenal have started talks with Lille over a move for the defender, according to reports overnight.

Both reports in France and journalist Fabrizio Romano claim that conversations between the two clubs are ongoing.

When questioned further Romano said that no agreement has yet to be reached with either the club or the player, with Magalhaes waiting to consider his options before making a decision.

Napoli were said to be interested in the defender, but the uncertainty of the future of Kalidou Koulibaly has stopped them making a move so far.

Lille president confirms exit

“Gabriel is young, extremely powerful, currently right now probably one of the two most dominant central defenders in the French league,” Lille president Gerard Lopez told BBC Sport.

“The way we work is very simple. We explain to him and his environment, his agent, what we are looking for, and once we get those offers the choice is his, like we did with Nico [Pepe] and Victor [Oshimen].

“We are there now, so we told him: ‘Eventually you have to make a decision but we’re not pressing you.’ I think he will make it this week, or next week at the latest. He is leaving, we’ve given the OK for that.

“There’s a lot of competition. He’s a young player so he’s got to make sure he makes the right decision. We help him out a little bit so we tell him: ‘We think this might be the right manager or club for you.’

“He’s got so much talent, he will succeed wherever he goes.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *